In the better late than never camp, I just finished off the new cold frame (an unheated green house). This is a project that started this summer, and I needed to finish it before first snow so that we can get the cars back in the garage.
Made of 2″ Ceder and Thermoclear sheets (which is corrugated Lexan with a UV coat), it should hold up for quite a while.
All the joints were done with a Kreg Jig, a completely invaluable tool that I got to know during the day of service at the Poughkeepsie Farm Project a few years ago.
These cedar benches were built by my father a number of years ago, after we took down a bunch of trees on the property, including some 100 year old cedar trees. After 3 years of weathering their original finish had worn through. Based on the success I had with our the cherry bench in the spring, I went to town on these this week.
The one on the right is the state of the benches before being touched. The one on the left was after an hour with a belt sander. The cedar red color really jumped back out in the process.
This is a look at the benches after the final coat of poly was put on. They are still drying, so there is some artifacting that won’t be there once it hardens. I’m very curious how long the deep red heart wood is going to stay that color, or if it will orange like cedar does when exposed to air.
This print was bought at least 2 years ago, finally got around to building the frame for it.
I’m pretty happy with how it came out, just need to sort out some hangers and it will be the new art up over my home office desk.
Besides picking 7lbs of blueberries this weekend, I also managed a lot of progress on 2 of my wood working tasks.
This is my shot glass collection shelf, probably to be mounted tonight. 7′ 7″ long, 3″ wide, going up in our dining room. Oak with 2 coats of cherry stain.
An outdoor coffee table created from extra top we had for our outdoor island. Legs made of poplar using my new kreg jig.
While the room still has some work to do, the shelves are now complete. They’ll be full of stuff starting in a couple of days. For my first finish level of wood working, I’m pretty pleased how they turned out.
The bright sun light throws it off a bit, but that’s basically what the shelves will look like once they are done. The painting portion of this adventure starts tonight.
Also, that’s not barrel distortion, the shelves are built into a parallelogram part of the room with a 17 degree angle.
Today’s progress after taking the day off of work. That’s the minimal amount of attached parts that I need to keep it the right shape.
Also, I am full of / covered in sawdust.