For the record, I have OpenOffice a fair shake, trying to use it for our wedding guest list. Had I known going into it that I’d be unable, in any way, to export the data into flat text, I never would have tried. That’s right, 1 year after launching OpenOffice base, the simple task of getting access to that data from any other application, in any other way, is still impossible. 😦
This morning, as we were trying to correlate our wedding gifts with the guest list, I gave up, created a report that made a 17 page text file, and built a Perl filter to turn that into a tab separated file. Now the entire list is in Gnumeric, easy to edit, and share between Susan and I.
Please actually provide open access to your data when creating a new product. A move like this with OpenOffice Base is almost as bad as MS would do.
Every once in a while I love to look through my spam folder just to see what makes spamassassin mark something really high. Here is one that got 49 points:
* 4.5 MIME_BOUND_DD_DIGITS Spam tool pattern in MIME boundary
* 4.4 MSGID_SPAM_CAPS Spam tool Message-Id: (caps variant)
* 0.1 FORGED_RCVD_HELO Received: contains a forged HELO
* 1.5 RCVD_NUMERIC_HELO Received: contains an IP address used for HELO
* 0.0 UNPARSEABLE_RELAY Informational: message has unparseable relay
* 2.0 HTML_MESSAGE BODY: HTML included in message
* 5.0 BAYES_99 BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 99 to 100%
* [score: 1.0000]
* 4.5 MIME_HTML_ONLY BODY: Message only has text/html MIME parts
* 3.7 PYZOR_CHECK Listed in Pyzor (http://pyzor.sf.net/)
* 0.2 DNS_FROM_RFC_ABUSE RBL: Envelope sender in abuse.rfc-ignorant.org
* 2.0 RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET RBL: Received via a relay in bl.spamcop.net
* [Blocked - see ]
* 3.9 RCVD_IN_XBL RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus XBL
* [184.108.40.206 listed in sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org]
* 2.5 FORGED_OUTLOOK_TAGS Outlook can't send HTML in this format
* 2.7 FORGED_OUTLOOK_HTML Outlook can't send HTML message only
* 4.5 MIME_HTML_ONLY_MULTI Multipart message only has text/html MIME
* 2.6 FORGED_MSGID_HOTMAIL Message-ID is forged, (hotmail.com)
* 1.6 MISSING_MIMEOLE Message has X-MSMail-Priority, but no X-MimeOLE
* 4.1 FORGED_MUA_OUTLOOK Forged mail pretending to be from MS Outlook
A few of these I’ve cranked up, like MIME_HTML_ONLY, as I don’t get any useful mail that is only text/html formatted. I still like that SA detects things like MIME_BOUND_DD_DIGITS. 🙂
I’m catching up on the mailing list for mercurial from the past couple of months. A couple really neat things in there:
* Mercurial Quick Reference Cards. These are really awesome. I’ve got to print out copies for all my interns on Monday, as they are just wonderfully done.
* Distributed Bug Tracking in Hg. This is based on the Bugs Everywhere concept. This looks really handy as a way of keeping todos in a source tree itself.
Ah, I love hg. 🙂
I really wish that Firefox set WM_URGENT when a new tab or window loaded. I need to look into what it would take to make that happen, as my use of Ion would end up being nirvana after that. Click on a link in an application Mod-k k, read the link, Mod-k k back to where you were. I spent a bunch of time on google looking for tihs one, and failed, which isn’t promissing. In my copious spare time, I’ll have to look into this one more.
Ok, I think I’m now sold on the Ion approach to window management. It isn’t all flowers and puppies, but at the Mutt folks say “… it sucks less”.
The good points
- Centralized Alerts from urgent windows – this is just bloody brilliant, and so freaking useful
- Full usage of screen real estate – very handy
- Dock App support (so I can keep my HUD as it was in AfterStep)
- Query interface that always has focus
The bad points
- No xft support. I really got used to antialiased title bars in AfterStep, it’s a bit ugly to go back
- Still on the learning curve for how to really use it
- The Linear workspace layout is still not entirely intuitive to me, after years doing 2D pagers. I’d like a Pager with (you are here)
All in all, a pretty big win. About an hour of hacking put Urgent support hints into the last application I needed it for, which makes it so much nicer for this environment. I just also got frame renaming bound correctly, so my gaim windows are getting shoved into the right places, very nice.
I’ll end up building Mandriva packages for the latest code this weekend, including some ion startup bits to make it easy to launch items on start up from kdm. All in all, a good experiment for the evenings of this week.