For the record, I have OpenOffice a fair shake, trying to use it for our wedding guest list. Had I known going into it that I’d be unable, in any way, to export the data into flat text, I never would have tried. That’s right, 1 year after launching OpenOffice base, the simple task of getting access to that data from any other application, in any other way, is still impossible. 😦
This morning, as we were trying to correlate our wedding gifts with the guest list, I gave up, created a report that made a 17 page text file, and built a Perl filter to turn that into a tab separated file. Now the entire list is in Gnumeric, easy to edit, and share between Susan and I.
Please actually provide open access to your data when creating a new product. A move like this with OpenOffice Base is almost as bad as MS would do.